Major investment in implementation tools for HL7v3messages
03 June 2009
This large Canadian investment will help UK implementers work with HL7 V3
messages. Infoway is planning to develop a set of tools to aid Point of Service
vendors in their adoption and implementation of pan-Canadian Standards,
particularly HL7 version 3 messages. They have identified a set of tools that
will help this implementation effort and have begun developing detailed
requirements for each of those. They are now seeking input from the standards
community and from vendors who might use the tools.
All comments were to be submitted by May 29, 2009.
Infoway’s draft requirements for:
- API Generator, a tool that, given a suite of pan-Canadian HL7 v3
Specifications, will generate APIs for a specified set of operating system
and development environments. These APIs can then be used by implementers to
adapt their solutions to communicate using the pan-Canadian standards
without requiring a detailed understanding of the HL7 v3 specifications or
the necessary transport protocols. (Download
- Standards Repository, a structured and searchable repository that provides
a single point of reference for all information pertaining to implementing
the relevant Pan-Canadian standards. (Download
- Message Validator extensions to the Eclipse Instance Editor to improve the
ability of the validator to detect non-conformant instances. (Download
Infoway are looking for the following types of feedback on the attached
- Are the requirements clear?
- Are the tools and requirements appropriate?
- Are there tools or requirements we are missing?
- Are there tools or requirements we have included that will provide little
One of Infoway's objectives is to ensure that the tools produced integrate
well with standards design and implementation tooling being developed by the
standards community, so feedback on changes to improve alignment and
interoperability potential would be appreciated as well.
Last modified 11/08/09