HL7/IHE/DICOM training course - an overview of healthcare interoperability
Number of Days: 1 day, 09:30-17:00. Your instructor is available during
lunch and after 17:00 for informal discussions about your specific area of
interest or applications
Summary of course content:
The training course describes the key areas in which standardization is
workflows, messages, documents) in order to achieve interoperability between
software applications in healthcare. It also provides an overview of key
characteristics of some of the existing standards in this area (e.g. CDA/ITK,
DICOM, HL7 V2, HL7 V3, IHE and SNOMED).
Who should attend:
This training course is aimed at Project Managers, Clinicians and
Architects, as well as a more technical audience (e.g. Software Developers) for
whom this overview acts as an introduction to interoperability standards in
Goals of the training course
Upon completion of this training course,
attendees will be able to:
- Understand the key components of a number of commonly used
- Explain the relationship between HL7, IHE and DICOM standards.
- Understand the key role of terminologies as used by interoperability
- Know which standard is the best fit for a particular workflow.
- The attendees are assumed to be familiar with healthcare workflows and
processes, as well as some knowledge of data modeling
- Attendees must bring a laptop.
- Introduction and overview
- Part 1: Healthcare workflows: the need for standardization
- The IHE methodology (Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise)
- Part 2: Messaging: the exchange of structured data
- HL7 version 2 - within hospitals
- HL7 version 3 - between organizations
- DICOM - images
- Part 3: Documents: the exchange of textual data
- HL7v3 Clinical Documents Architecture (CDA)
- Example: ITK correspondence, a CDA-based specification
- Part 4: The use of a unified terminology and identification schemes
- (Example) SNOMED - clinical terms
- (Example) ICD-10 - clinical terms for invoicing
- Part 5: IHE Profiles
- (Example) IHE Radiology workflows, IHE XDS
- (Example) NHS ITK - an IHE-style specification
- Part 6: Exercise mapping workflows to standards
- Summary and recommendations
Course Materials: Each participant will be provided with handouts containing all
materials covered in the training as well as other support materials.
- René Spronk, HL7/IHE/DICOM Trainer, Ringholm.
- René has been providing training
all around Europe since 2001, and has first hand experience in implementing interfaces.
- Other tutors may be present should the number of trainees be larger than 20.
- Standard £780+VAT
- HL7 UK member OR NHS Trust Employee £690+VAT
- HL7 UK Member & NHS Trust employee £620+VAT
Fees cover course materials, lunch and refreshments. All fees subject to
Terms and Conditions: Please read the Terms
For any queries please email email@example.com.
Book HL7 Version
8 All Saints Street
London N1 9RL
Phone: +44 20 7520 2414